Sunday, February 10, 2008

First Stop...Ketchikan

Ketchikan was the Malaspina's first stop.  We arrived at 7am.  Unfortunately, I didn't wake up until 8 or so.  After I had rolled out of bed and got dressed, I was ready to head out the door.  I made it as far as shutting the door when they announced that they would be getting back underway.  "Damn!," I thought.  I came to find out that most, if not all, of the ports we would hit would be approx. 45min visits, and, since the boat was a little late pulling out, they would most likely be shorter.  I can't say that I'm pleased about it, but I'm sure I'll have my fair share of travel over the course of my stay.  Our next scheduled port-call is Wrangell, later this afternoon. 

After roughly 37hrs of sailing time, approx. 594 nautical miles north of Bellingham, WA, I have finally have a good idea where we are.  This boat travels considerably slower (16 knots) than what I was used to on SHERMAN (20-27 knots).  

Here's a look at the route most of the ferries take on the AMHS: 










I've taken a number of pictures during this trip, but I'm having trouble loading my pictures on.  More to come...

No comments: