Sunday, March 9, 2008

Indecision 2008

"DOR."  Those 3 letters slid up my throat and off the tip of my tongue last Tuesday, March 4th, 2008.  3 simple letters that put a swift end to my airman training.  One year of waiting on a boat, weeks and weeks of going back and forth to medical to make sure my flight physical was all taken care of, 1 week of travel to get up here, and another 3 weeks of actual training...all of that just to say 3 letters.  It's the kind of situation where you want to say, "how ironic," even though it's not applicable.  "How pathetic?"  No.  "What a waste."  Possibly.  I don't see it that way, though.  I see it as going out on a limb to try something new that is challenging and exciting.  3 weeks was just enough time to utter those 3 letters...now that's ironic.  Do I regret it?  No.  I cannot feel regret for quitting something I didn't wish to continue.  And the effort to go into the program and try it on for size is something few actually ever do.  Many will sit and speculate on the sidelines, but it's not for them to decide.  Truth be told, I'm not sure if there's any profession within this service that I truly want.  Romantically speaking, I would say rescue swimming...but it's not me.  I give thanks for the opportunity.  Now, I wait to see if they'll keep me here.  It's far from a bad situation, though.  There are far worse situations to be in.  If you break it down to bare bones, no matter what, I will have food, a roof over my head, no bills, and a job.  Many would give much for that kind of security, and for that I cannot complain.  I am blessed.    

It's funny...The Daily Show has a segment during election-time...they call it Indecision (whatever election year it is).  For me, this week is Indecision 2008.  Stay tuned...  

4 comments:

The Way EYE See It... said...

Congrats Dustin for trying something that you wanted to do--taking the risk--and now moving forward. I hope you're able to find some clarity. Trust me, you're not the only guy your age who is wondering about the "what's next" question.

Good job on following a dream...I hope another one ignites in you soon.

Dustin Fulkerson said...

Thank you very much James. I have really appreciated your comments. You're a good friend.

Unknown said...

Well...it's official...it's in print! I can tell from reading your entry that you are growing...not only in maturity, but in wisdom. Those three words may have rolled off your tongue, but I'm sure you weighed the variables before you spoke them. You were right to say that you were glad to get into the program,thankful for the opportunity, and blessed for the CG to provide for you until the next assignment. Just know Dustin, that God will direct your path as you are in His care also.
Always in my prayers.....

Dustin Fulkerson said...

Thanks, Mom. I really appreciate it.