Saturday, February 23, 2008

1st Pool Day

My first pool day was last Thursday (Feb. 21).  The day began with having to go through the PT In Test again.  Once the 500 swim was completed, the actual "pool day" commenced.  The AST's proceeded to beat me 6 ways from Sunday.  It was brutal.  Looking back at the numbers, it wasn't so as much volume as I was accustomed to doing in the pool.  The big difference was the intensity in which it was done.  The AST's create a completely stressful environment.  Their goal is to make an airman quit within the first 2 weeks of training.  Needless to say, that's exactly what they tried to make me do the first day.  The stats for the day are as follows:
  • 32 push-ups (1min)
  • 40 sit-ups (1min)
  • 3 pull-ups
  • 3 chin-ups
  • 1.5 mile run (9:20)
  • 500m swim (no gear) 
  • 4 x 50m sprints (gear)
  • 20 flutter kicks (legs hanging over pool w/fins 4 count = 1)
  • 4 x 25m underwaters (gear)
  • 20 push-ups
  • 1 x 50m side stroke w/brick held above water (gear)
  • 2 x 25m sprints (gear)
  • 100m swim w/brick (dunked intermittently)
  • 100m buddy-tow (splashed intermittently)
  • 2 mile run back to base (30 push-ups during run w/intermediate sprints)
  • 15 push-ups @ base
  • stood @ attention for 10 min staring @ flag (instructed to think about why I wanted to be there)
The AST's were yelling in my ear the entire time.  There were only a few instances where they stopped to actually instruct, critique, or explain anything.  I emphasize "few instances".  In 16 years of competitive swimming, this day was by far the most difficult training in the pool that I have ever encountered.  Even though the distances swam fail in comparison to what I've been used to swimming, the intensity was so far above and beyond any practices prior.  In a word, sobering.  I was so beat down and demoralized...I didn't think that I would want to continue.  But by the end of the day I was able to count it a success.  The goal, at this point, is to simply not quit.  This above all else.  


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh, glad it's you and not me!! But...my hat's off to ya for having the grit & determination to do it! You'll be better off for it! Ooh-rah, Airman Fulkerson!!
P.S. Be watchin' for a package coming to ya! It may help you out!!

Dustin Fulkerson said...

Thanks!

The Way EYE See It... said...

Persevere Dustin. You're a strong guy. Hang in there with this and I hope you will be able to relish the experience all the more at the end of it. Tough things like this never seem great except in hindsight, right?

Also, does it help to think "why am I doing this?" in terms of how this might prep you for the day-to-day or an airman?

Dustin Fulkerson said...

Thanks, James. I really appreciate the words of encouragement. I'll take all I can get at this point. As for now, I'm not going anywhere. I didn't get dressed up for nothin! And it certainly does help to think that way. Bascially, if you are deployed in heavy seas to rescue an individual in distress, you MUST be able to focus and keep a clear head to rescue that person and not kill yourself.